Did you know a lack of regular exercise can cause headaches?
Apart from mental stress, physical stress can cause headaches too. These physical stresses include muscle tension found in your shoulders, head, and neck, all of which are caused by unbalanced posture or a lack of regular exercise.
The 3 most common types of chronic headaches & their symptoms are:
- Tension Headaches: Dull, aching pain in the head and neck, pressure and tightness across the sides, front, and back of your head, and tenderness in your shoulders, head, and neck
- Sinus Headaches: Tends to be seasonal, typically occurs in the face, and last for a few hours
- Migraine Headaches: Painful headaches felt in the back of the head, temples, or eyes, lasting around a day or more. Increased sensitivity to light and sound
These chronic headaches sensitise your nervous system, meaning it takes a lesser “stimulus” to kickstart a headache every day.
Movements and exercises are the best ways to reset our system & decrease sensitisation. Yoga, stretching, and even massage can ease the tensions associated with headaches.
If you spend long hours at your desk, you might experience secondary headaches like cervicogenic headaches instead. It is often paired with neck stiffness and tender muscles around the head and shoulders which could result in more frequent and intense headaches. Fortunately, over 70% of people suffering from cervicogenic headaches found significant relief through chiropractic treatment.
Other initiatives you could take:
- Stay Hydrated
- Stretching at least every hour
- Setting up an ergonomic workstation
Headache Medications Causes Headaches
Most headache medications address the symptoms, not the cause. Your body can become sensitised as you take medication, meaning you will need to take more medication to achieve the same result. The side effect of most of these medications is more headaches; thus, medications aren’t effective at reducing their frequency or severity.
To reduce your risk of headaches naturally, you can follow these 3 simple steps:
- Get enough sleep: Sleeping & waking up at the same time each day to maintain a natural rhythm
- Reduce your stress: Plan & manage your daily schedule and include stress-busting activities like yoga or meditation in your lifestyle.
- Exercise Regularly: Movement & exercises releases endorphins, making your brain and body feel good while blocking pain signals.
How will YOU benefit from Chiropractic care?
Fortunately, most of the common types of headaches can be reduced/ eliminated by changing a few daily habits. However, if you are struggling to get moving due to the pain, let’s reduce the frequency and severity of your headache with our chiropractors. Research has shown that chiropractic adjustments (spinal adjustments) are often effective at reducing its frequency & severity.
Our chiropractic treatment involves the alignment adjustment of your spine to reduce stress and tension building. We will also be able to provide the stiff neck / stiff back relief that you are looking for! Contact us to book a consultation/ find out more!